Tuesday, March 25, 2014
I finished my Block 3. So far I like this block the best, even though it wasn't especially easy to do. Continuing with my theme of adding indigo blue to my blocks I added four blueberry sprigs inside the wreath. I also shrunk the inner leaves so that the berries would fit.
I used skinny 1/8 inch bias strips for the cherries and blue berries, but my stems that attach the cherries to the wreath are thicker. If I had to do it again, I would have made them 1/8th inch also. I used freezer paper under the circular wreath rather than bias so that I would not have a join,
Monday, March 24, 2014
Thursday, March 20, 2014
Monday, March 10, 2014
Here is my finished Block 3. I am doing the blocks at 12 " and decided to embroider those tiny cherry stems. I used 1/4" bias for the circle and 1/8 " bias for the leaf stems but decided a touch of embroidery would be fine. I had forgotten how difficult it is for me, to needleturn Kona solids like those used in the corner leaves and cherries. It seems a bit thicker and looser woven than some of the other fabrics so I had a bit of difficulty there but overall I am happy. I am just thrilled to be able to make this one out of my stash!
Friday, March 7, 2014
Still enjoying stitching these blocks.
Monday, March 3, 2014
I also found it the most challenging to sew. Those little stems are really quite small - especially in my chosen 12 inch block size. I selected a fine grain fabric for the stems and used back basting needle turn applique. I did try first making bias stems, as suggested, but couldn't get them to work for me...I seemed to be all fingers and thumbs!