Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Block 3

Hello all,
 I finished my Block 3.  So far I like this block the best, even though it wasn't especially easy to do.  Continuing with my theme of adding indigo blue to my blocks I added four blueberry sprigs inside the wreath.  I also shrunk the inner leaves so that the berries would fit.
  I used skinny 1/8 inch bias strips for the cherries and blue berries, but my stems that attach the cherries to the wreath are thicker.  If I had to do it again, I would have made them 1/8th inch also.  I used freezer paper under the circular wreath rather than bias so that I would not have a join,

All in all, I am happy the way it turned out.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Block Two for me

Things are somewhat back to normal and it shows.  I got block 2 done! I was going to use a different green and red for the middle, but since I think I have enough, I'm going to use the same green and red throughout.  Don't know why it took me so long - this is a fairly simple design with some big pieces.  I used the starch and freezer paper method I learned from Pearl's DVD.  So glad I got it!  Now I can start on 3 before 4 comes out - LOL.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Block Three and Quilts 0f Indiana

This is my block three.  I think this is my favorite block so far.  Since I do most of my appliqué the freezer paper and starch way I decided to make little freezer paper templates to do my tiny stems since they were so short.I was also lucky enough to win the Quilts of Indiana book Gay gave away. 

 It has a great picture and write up about the quilt.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Block 3

Here is my finished Block 3. I am doing the blocks at 12 " and decided to embroider those tiny cherry stems. I used 1/4" bias for the circle and 1/8 " bias for the leaf stems but decided a touch of embroidery would be fine. I had forgotten how difficult it is for me, to needleturn Kona solids like those used in the corner leaves and cherries. It seems a bit thicker and looser woven than some of the other fabrics so I had a bit of difficulty there but overall I am happy. I am just thrilled to be able to make this one out of my stash!



Block 3

Hello Ladies,
Please excuse my appliqué fingers in the close up pic of the tiny templates. At the 12 " size, block 3 was fiddly and fought me every single step of the way. I won though !!! I'm really loving the blocks still and can't wait till next month.

Keep on stitching,
Kel x

Friday, March 7, 2014

Block 2.

Thought I'd better pop my block 2 up as Block 3 has just come out.  A little slow here at the moment.
Still enjoying stitching these blocks.
I'm loving having a look at everyone's individual take on these blocks.  They each look so lovely in different fabrics.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Block 3

This is my favourite block so far - such a pretty design.
I also found it the most challenging to sew. Those little stems are really quite small - especially in my chosen 12 inch block size. I selected a fine grain fabric for the stems and used back basting needle turn applique. I did try first making bias stems, as suggested, but couldn't get them to work for me...I seemed to be all fingers and thumbs!

The only bit not back basted are the cherries. I wanted to fussy cut them - not easy to do with the back basting method - so I pinned and needle turned them on top. 

Thanks for these wonderful patterns. I'm really enjoying making them!