I'm Kel from NSW Australia. I'm so happy to be part of this BOM and hope to be able to keep up with you all.
I completed Block 1 at the original full size and colour scheme, red and green. I wasn't feeling the colour at all and I didn't like the large size either. Picky aren't i!
So I printed out the pattern again this time at 75 percent and came up with a block 12 inches square that will finish at 11.5 inches. Weird i know but I'm happy with the block and it's size. I think it's a far more manageable size and less background fabric!
As far as colours go I'm going with Teal, Red, Pink and green. And possibly some browns for good measure. I didn't like the rosebud thingies so I decided to leave those out as well. I think I'm going to take a leaf out of Gay's book and do the little petals when its all sewn together. Not entirely sure but I want to keep my options open.
Sew, without further ado, here is my block one original and my smaller block.